Substance Abuse Counselling and Treatment Process
Substance Abuse Counselling and Treatment Process is a 6-week course designed for the clinical staff working in Substance abuse treatment facilities, psychiatric facilites, university health centres, general medical practice and related services.
The overall objective is to produce health workers with the competencies to organize and facilitate processes involved in substance abuse treatment.
The flyer is available for download here.
APPLICATION EXTENDED TO JUNE 21, 2017.
- understand and are able to identify items that make ANY high quality service organization.
- are able to perform structured analysis of their existing substance abuse treatment (or related facilities) and identify documents to produce to improve their treatment facilities
- are able to write (or adapt existing) essential service documents to improve their treatment organization
- are able to deconstruct and reconstruct specific intervention processes in substance abuse treatment
- able to construct outcome-based logic model for a chosen substance abuse treatment modality.
- understand selected theories of substance abuse
- are able to facilitate and document pre-enrollment, enrollment, intervention, discharge and aftercare processes involved in Therapeutic Community and Intensive Outpatients substance abuse treatment modalities.
The prerequisites for enrollment for training are:
- Basic training in medicine, nursing, psychology, social works or counselling.
- Current employment in a facility providing drug addiction interventions or a letter from the workplace that the prospective learner will be posted to drug addiction unit after the training.
Sixty thousand Naira (N60,000), covering
- three-week online training
- online electronic portfolio
- tea break and lunch during the one week of classroom lectures.
- printed training materials
NOTE: The fee does not cover accommodation.
NUMBER OF TRAINEES: ten (10)
The training is a blend of theoretical knowledge and procedural skills acquisition over a six-week duration as follows:
- Online collaborative learning: three (3) weeks: July 3rd to 17th, 2017.
- Classroom lectures: one (1) week: July 24th to 28th, 2017.
- Clinical rotations: Two (2) weeks: July 31st to August 11, 2017.
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Collaborative learning online
- Classroom Lectures
- Experiential and reflective learning (participation / critical report)
- Clinical posting,
- Supervision and case demonstrations
- Role plays / demonstration /video
Some of the lectures are:
- Substance addiction process and recovery process
- Theories of addiction
- Legal / policy framework and ethical considerations in drug addition treatment
- Neurobiology of drug addiction (Introduction)
- Basic counselling skills
- Basic psychology relevant to drug dependence treatment
- REBT / CBT means of psychological intervention
- Psycho-educational interventions in drug addiction treatment
- Therapeutic Community treatment modality
- Intensive Outpatient treatment modality
- Evaluation of addiction treatment outcomes
- Business strategy for substance abuse treatment service
- Porter's Generic Strategy
- The Unique Selling Propositions (USPs) Analysis
- SWOT Analysis
- Porter’s Five Forces
- Critical Success Factors
- Key Performance Indicator (KPI)
- Writing mission and vision statements
- Organization Design for substance abuse treatment service
- Logic models for substance abuse treatment service
- Stakeholder analysis and information need
Some of the predural skills are:
- Perform and document pre-enrollment assessment of patients with substance use disorder
- Perform and document motivational interview
- Perform and document patient’s enrollment procedure
- Perform and document comprehensive evaluation of patients with Addiction Severity Index
- Facilitate a variety of sessions in a Therapeutic Community
- Facilitate manualized psycho-educational /relapse prevention sessions
- Facilitate manualized 12-steps sessions
Application for Batch 2 is open and will close on June 21, 2017.
Method of payment
Payment is via Remita.
- To make payment, visit https://www.remita.net/
- Click on the button “Pay a Federal Government Agency”. This takes you to a page where you can pay where you can select which Federal Government Agency to pay
- Fill the form on the oage as follows
Name of MDA: FEDERAL NEURO-PSYCHIA HOSPITAL ABEOKUTA – 1000035
Name of Service/Purpose: DRUG ADDICTION TREATMENT TRAINING COURSE FEE
Description: Drug Addiction Counselling and Treatment Process
Amount To Pay (₦): 60,000
- Complete the rest of the form and submit
- This will generate your Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) for the payment and sent to your email. You will then be directed to the page with payment options, which include:
- internet banking through your bank
- cash payment at a bank of your choice (with the generated Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) )
- payment via Remita account
- Cards or wallets
- only application submitted with Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) of valid payment will be accepted for admission into the training course.
- Payment is non-refundable but can be used for subsequent batch of training and can be transfered to another qualified person after approval of the course coordinator.
FOR FURTHER ENQUIRIES
Dr P.O. Onifade